George Fleming is a native Texan who received his Bachelor of Business Administration and Juris Doctor from the University of Texas at Austin. He began his law career in 1971 as a trial attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, representing the United States in major trial cases. George subsequently returned to Texas and became a partner in an Austin law firm. In 1981, he moved to Houston to start his own practice, focusing on aviation disasters, products liability and plaintiff's personal injury. In 1981, he founded the firm that has become Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P., where he established his reputation in mass tort and consumer litigation cases. George was the lead trial attorney in a number of landmark cases, including when he was with the U.S. Department of Justice: Stencel Aero v. U.S, 434 U.S. 882 (1977), and Miree v. Dekalb County, Georgia, 433 U.S. 25 (1977); and including representing plaintiffs in: Amstadt v. U.S. Brass Corp., 919 S.W.2d 644 (Tex. S.Ct. 1996); In Re: Polybutylene Plumbing Litigation, 23 S.W.3d 428 (Tex.App.-Hous. [1st Dist.] 2000); and Mathis, et al. v. Exxon Corporation, 302 F.3d 448 (5th Cir. 2002).
George is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals: Third, Fifth, Seventh, Eleventh, and District of Columbia Circuits; U.S. District Courts: Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas and District of Columbia; and the Texas Supreme Court. His legal memberships include the State Bar of Texas, Houston Bar Association, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, American Bar Association and the American Association for Justice. George is widely published, with articles appearing in a number of major legal journals. He is also a frequent speaker on emerging trial techniques and trends, mass tort litigation, and class action litigation.
During the course of his career, George has been named:
- one of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association.
- a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum® in 2014, published by Million Dollar Advocates Forum, LLC.
- to Who’s Who in American Law in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, a Marquis Who’s Who® publication.
- one of 2014 Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers, published by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®. Mr. Fleming is Peer Review Rated AV® PreeminentTM (AV®, BV®, AV® PreeminentTM and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review RatingsTM fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.)
- a Texas Super Lawyer® in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Super Lawyers is a Thompson Reuters service.
Articles on George and his work have been written up in the:
- New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Forbes magazine
- The Associated Press
- United Press International
His peers previously elected him as:
- President of the Aviation Law Section of the American Trial Lawyers Association
- President of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Texas