Rand Nolenmeet our board certified personal injury attorney
Rand Nolen is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Rand joined Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P., f/k/a Fleming & Associates, L.L.P. in 1997, and since that time has been one of the firm’s most active trial lawyers. Rand has tried cases against some of the largest companies in the world, including: Exxon, Wyeth, Pfizer, ConocoPhillips, Ford Motor Company, Sanofi, AbbVie, and Sloan Valve Company. Rand has tried cases to verdict in the state courts of Texas, Oregon, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Florida and Illinois. Rand has also tried cases to verdict in the federal courts for the Southern, Western Districts of Texas, and Eastern District of Louisiana.
Experience & Admissions
In addition to litigating and trying lawsuits, Rand briefs and argues appeals. Rand has argued appeals before the Texas Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Seventh Circuit, the Tenth Circuit, both Houston Courts of Appeals, the Texarkana Court of Appeals, the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Rand is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas. He is also admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Third, Fifth, Seventh, and Tenth Circuits, the United States Court of Federal Claims, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, and the United States District Court of New Mexico.
Dedicated Career, Trial Success
A native Texan, Rand Patrick Nolen graduated from Westbury High School and later received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Stephen F. Austin State University. He received his Juris Doctorate from South Texas College of Law. During law school, Rand clerked at the Houston litigation firm Tucker, Hendryx & Gascoyne, P.C., and upon graduation accepted an associate’s position. Over the next four years, Rand gained significant jury trial and appellate experience. He also worked in mass tort litigation involving polybutylene plumbing, breast implants, and toxic underground chemicals.
After joining George Fleming’s firm, Rand has represented plaintiffs in mass actions including Fen-Phen diet drug litigation, Ford-Firestone rollover litigation, Asbestos litigation, Gasoline retailer litigation, RezulinTM diabetes drug litigation, HydroxycutTM litigation, Accutane® litigation, Ortho Evra® Contraceptive Patch litigation, Hormone Replacement Therapy litigation, Abilify® diabetes litigation, AndroGel® litigation, Taxotere® litigation, and others.
Judicial Appointments And Committees
Rand was appointed by United States Judge Kurt Engelhardt to serve on the Plaintiffs Steering Committee – In Re: TAXOTERE (DOCETAXEL) PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITIGATION, MDL NO. 2740, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana.
He was appointed by United States Judge Susan G. Braden Co-Lead Counsel for Downstream Plaintiffs as to Pre-Trial Discovery, Dispositive Motions for Partial or Summary Judgement and/or Cross-Motions and/or a Trial on Liability, and Scheduling – In Re Downstream Addicks And Barker (Texas) Flood-Control Reservoirs, Sub-Master Docket No. 17-cv-9002L, United States Court of Federal Claims.
Rand was appointed class counsel in Harry Snowden, Individually and as Representative of All Persons Similarly Situated v. Farmers Insurance Company, Inc.; Cause No. CIV-2000 (Cir. Ct. of Faulkner County, Arkansas, First Division, July 2009), which certified a settlement class benefiting Arkansas Farmers Insurance policy holders who had suffered diminished value to their vehicles as a result of accidents.
Rand was appointed class counsel in Royce Yarbrough, Individually And As Representative Of The Class Of All Similarly Situated Persons v. ConocoPhillips Company, et al., Cause No. 99-DCV-107968 (In the 268th Judicial District, Fort Bend County, Texas), which certified a settlement class for the underpayment of gas royalties.
Rand served for 19 years as a member of the Mississippi Litigation Group in IN RE: BOGALUSA CHEMICAL RELEASE, Circuit Court for the First Judicial District, Hinds County, Mississippi.
Honors And Awards:
- AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Associate – American Board Of Trial Advocates
- Senior Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America
- Texas Super Lawyers® 2012 – 2019 by Thomson Reuters
- The American Trial Lawyers Association “THE 2007 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS”
- The National Trial Lawyers “TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS” 2011 – 2019
- AVVO “Superb Rated Attorney” 2015
- H TEXAS MAGAZINE “Houston’s Top Lawyers” – 2006 – 2010, 2012 – 2019
- H TEXAS MAGAZINE “Lawyers For The People” – 2007 – 2009
- HOUSTONIA magazine “Top Lawyer” 2013 – 2019
- Stephen F. Austin State University College of Liberal and Applied Arts –Dr. James O. Standley Distinguished Alumni Award 2018
Rand is the author of the book chapter titled “PREDOMINANCE AND SUPERIORITY” – A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions, 2010, 2017 American Bar Association.
- Primerus Annual National Conference – Napa Valley 1998
- American Bar Association – Tort and Insurance Practice Section – San Francisco 2000
- Mealey’s Fen-Phen Trial Strategies and Settlements Update – Dallas, Texas, 2003
- Houston Bar Association 2005 Experts Institute Houston, Texas, 2005
- Strafford Legal Teleconferences – Nationwide 2008 teleconference – Reducing Costs Through Relevancy Quick Peek Agreements In E-Discovery
- American Bar Association – Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation – Austin 2014
- MCM Services Group Houston Mass Torts Conference – October 2014
- Trial Lawyers Marketing Roundtable Palm Springs Conference – Medtronic INFUSE Litigation – February 23, 2015
- HarrisMartin’s Hurricane Conference – May 22, 2018
Rand practices in the areas of personal injury, products liability, class action, mass action, Qui Tam, and commercial litigation. He is married and has a daughter.
Memberships, Awards & Certifications
Rand is board certified in:
- Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Rand is an active member of the following organizations:
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- The Texas Trial Lawyer Association
- The American Association for Justice
Rand was selected:
- Associate of the American Board Of Trial Advocates
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Included in the list of Texas Super Lawyers® (A Thomson Reuters service) in 2012 – 2016
- THE 2007, 2009, and 2010 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS, by The American Trial Lawyers Association
- The 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS by The National Trial Lawyers
- H-Texas Magazine’s Houston’s Top Lawyers 2006-2010 and 2012-2013
- H-Texas Magazine’s Lawyers For The People 2007-2010
- Houstonia magazine as a “Top Lawyer” 2013 and 2014
- AVVO “Superb Rated Attorney” 2015
- Peer Review Rated AV®