Meet Our Board Certified Personal Injury Attorney
Rand Nolen is board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Rand joined Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P., f/k/a Fleming & Associates, L.L.P.in 1997, and since that time has been one of the firm’s most active trial lawyers. Rand has tried cases against some of the largest companies in America, including: Exxon, Wyeth, Pfizer, ConocoPhillips, Ford Motor Company, Central Freight Lines, Inc., and Sloan Valve Company. Rand has tried cases to verdict in the state courts of Texas, Oregon, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Rand has also tried cases to verdict in the federal courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas.
Experience & Admissions
In addition to litigating and trying lawsuits, Rand both briefs and argues appeals. Rand has argued appeals before the Texas Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, both Houston Courts of Appeals, the Texarkana Court of Appeals, the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Rand is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas. He is also admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Courts of Appeals for the First, Third, Fifth and Seventh Circuits, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
Dedicated Career, Trial Success
A native Texan, Rand Patrick Nolen graduated from Westbury High School and later received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Stephen F. Austin State University. He received his Juris Doctorate from South Texas College of Law. During law school, Rand clerked at the Houston litigation firm Tucker, Hendryx & Gascoyne, P.C., and upon graduation accepted an associate’s position. Over the next four years, Rand gained significant jury trial and appellate experience. He also worked in mass tort litigation involving polybutylene plumbing, breast implants, and toxic underground chemicals.
In recent years, Rand has represented plaintiffs in mass actions including Fen-Phen diet drug litigation, Ford-Firestone rollover litigation, Asbestos litigation, Gasoline retailer litigation, RezulinTM diabetes drug litigation, HydroxycutTM litigation, Accutane® litigation, Ortho Evra® Contraceptive Patch litigation, Hormone Replacement Therapy litigation, Abilify® diabetes litigation, Testosterone litigation, and others.
Rand served as a member of the Mississippi Litigation Group in IN RE: BOGALUSA CHEMICAL RELEASE, Circuit Court for the First Judicial District, Hinds County, Mississippi. Rand has also served as appointed Class Counsel in Harry Snowden, Individually and as Representative of All Persons Similarly Situated v. Farmers Insurance Company, Inc.; Case No. CIV-2000 (Cir. Ct. of Faulkner County, Arkansas, First Division, July 2009), and Rand is currently serving as Class Counsel in Royce Yarbrough; Craig Fuller; and Robert Price Brent, III, Individually and as Representatives of the Classes of All Similarly Situated Persons, Plaintiffs v. ConocoPhillips Company, Successor by merger to Phillips Petroleum Company and Successor by merger to Phillips Gas Marketing Company, Defendant, Cause No. 99-DCV-107968, (In the 268th Judicial District, Fort Bend County, Texas).
Memberships, Awards & Certifications:
Rand is board certified in:
- Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Rand is an active member of the following organizations:
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- The Texas Trial Lawyer Association
- The American Association for Justice
Rand was selected:
- Associate of the American Board Of Trial Advocates
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Included in the list of Texas Super Lawyers® (A Thomson Reuters service) in 2012 - 2016
- THE 2007, 2009, and 2010 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS, by The American Trial Lawyers Association
- The 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS by The National Trial Lawyers
- H-Texas Magazine’s Houston’s Top Lawyers 2006-2010 and 2012-2013
- H-Texas Magazine’s Lawyers For The People 2007-2010
- Houstonia magazine as a “Top Lawyer” 2013 and 2014
- AVVO “Superb Rated Attorney” 2015
- Peer Review Rated AV®
Rand served as an invited speaker:
- Primerus Annual National Conference - Napa Valley 1998
- American Bar Association – Tort and Insurance Practice Section – San Francisco 2000
- Mealey’s Fen-Phen Trial Strategies and Settlements Update – Dallas, Texas, 2003
- Houston Bar Association 2005 Experts Institute Houston, Texas, 2005
- Strafford Legal Teleconferences – Nationwide 2008 teleconference – Reducing Costs Through Relevancy Quick Peek Agreements In E-Discovery
- American Bar Association – Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation – Austin 2014
- MCM Services Group Houston Mass Torts Conference – October 2014
- Trial Lawyers Marketing Roundtable Palm Springs Conference – Medtronic INFUSE Litigation – February 23, 2015
Rand is the author of the book chapter titled “Predominance and Superiority” in A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions, 2010 American Bar Association. As a Houston personal injury attorney who works nationwide, Rand practices in the areas of personal injury, products liability, class action, mass action, and commercial litigation. He is married and has a daughter.
Contact Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P. at (713) 621-7944 and set up a free case consultation with our team.