Hurricanes & Property Damage
Houston Property Damage Lawyers Since 1981
During hurricane season, many people prepare for a potential hurricane by buying extra water, batteries, and generators. Beyond needing your hurricane preparedness supplies, it is also important to prepare for the property damage and loss that can result when a hurricane makes landfall.
Don’t get caught without the information necessary to help resolve your property damage and loss claim with your insurance company. Take the time before the hurricane approaches to prepare for the unfortunate devastation a hurricane can bring. The more documentation of your property damage and loss you can provide to the insurance company, the better the result.
Contact Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P. to discuss your property damage claim with our Houston accident attorneys.
Checklist to Help Property Owners Prepare for Hurricanes
Follow these steps to prepare for a hurricane:
- Do a home inventory. Take photos and / or videos of your property—inside and outside—and everything in your house or business. Store the pictures and images on a jump drive, CD, SD card, hard drive, or other storage form, with the items you plan to take with you when you evacuate.
- If you have sales receipts or appraisals for big-ticket-items or one-of-a-kind pieces, store those with the items you plan to take with you when you evacuate.
- Keep your homeowner’s insurance policy with the items you plan to take with you when you evacuate. Read your insurance policy, specifically the declaration page to gain an understanding of what your policy covers.
- Keep a digital camera, batteries, chargers, and SD cards with the items you plan to take with you when you evacuate.
- If your home or business does suffer damage, then document it. Take pictures, videos, and notes of the damages to your property—inside and outside.
- Keep all receipts and invoices for hurricane-related expenses. This includes any repair work or replacement costs, including any living expenses that you may have as a result of the hurricane damage.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation at (713) 621-7944
No matter how well prepared you are, an attorney can be extremely beneficial to your property damage case. The sooner you schedule a free consultation with our team at Fleming | Nolen | Jez, L.L.P., the better we will be able to help you obtain what you deserve after an accident. Call our hurricane damage attorneys today to learn more.